Saturday, March 1, 2014

Love and Shotguns

I've been saving this post since last Sunday. For Valentines my wife offered to help me buy a new shotgun that I've been eyeing. I went duck hunting for the first time this year and was hooked instantly. Now, I have an old double barrel that still works great and I had a fair amount of success with it. At least for an utter newbie. But it's a 16 gauge. Fun to shoot. Works like a charm. Ammo is a pain to get. To get steel shot around here you have to order it online. Thus the new shotgun. It's more economic to buy a new 12 gauge than to special order ammo just to shoot waterfowl. 

My wife has been stupendously supportive of this even though she didn't go into a marriage expecting her husband to be a hunter. She even went out and bought me a nice pair of waders to get me started. Believe you me, insulated waders are a life saver when you are stomping through icy water at 4:00 in the morning in January. 

So, post season she asked me how I liked it and what other equipment I needed. I'm kind of a minimalist guy. If I don't need it I'll usually just pass on it. Good waders? Check. Nice jacket? Check. Shotgun? Double check. Hey, it's got two barrels. But I mentioned, just in passing, how my hunting buddies commented that they were surprised how well I did with an Elmer Fudd gun. Hannah didn't bat an eye.
"Do we need to get you something better?"
"Nah!"
Except what guy can just say no to a new shotgun? A sissy guy that's who. Well, I ain't no sissy. The more I thought about it the more it seemed like a good idea. The better the idea seemed the more I wanted one. I initially chose to wait till this summer but my wife likes to spoil me. Meaning she couldn't wait that long either. So last Sunday we got my V Day present. A Browning BPS 12 Gauge.

Receiver: Forged and machined steel
Barrel: Ventilated rib • 28"
Action: Bottom ejection • Dual steel action bars • Top-tang safety
Stock: Maple• Matte black finish
FeaturesThree Invector-Plus choke tubes • Silver colored front bead sight
Gauge: 12ga
Capacity: 3 rounds. 2 3/4" or 3"
Weight: 8lbs 1oz

Best. Valentines. Gift. Ever! 


Which I immediately had to pose with despite being ready for bed. 

Nothing says tough guy like flannel PJs. 

Why did I wait until today to talk about this? Because today we got to go break it in. 


Hot and can shoot a gun. Damn I'm a lucky dude. 

This is a big part of why last night was dude date night. We had to load up on skeet and shells for today's excursion. 


We left Simmons with a case of ammo and two cases of skeet. Many dead clay pigeons ensued. Holy cow this gun ran like a charm. Straight out of the box it operated flawlessly. We definitely got what we payed for. And dang can my wife shoot. I'm a decent shot. My wife schooled me. And I ain't scared to say it. 

Now, when does Teal season start again?


No comments:

Post a Comment